Friday, June 12, 2009

Out on a limb

Clear candy, huh?

I can't say I've been looking forward to trying this one. I'm feeling suspicious and apprehensive. The only words in English on this package are "Orange Jelly Candy" on one side, "Made in Hong Kong" on a second side (along with characters that look like Chinese), and "51 Smith 51" on another side, which might be an address or the name of a company. I'm not sure quite what I'm in for...

Orange Jelly front

Orange Jelly back

With a York Peppermint Pattie standing by in case of emergency, I rip the package open. Immediately, I smell an orange tang. Inside, the column-shaped candy had been broken into two pieces, but at some point they fused together again. I pop the whole thing in my mouth.

It is at once sweet and powdery. The flavor definitely is that of orange powdered drink mix. As I suck on it, it becomes sweeter and more sickly. The texture feels slick and pebbled under my tongue, but not hard. I bite down a bit and find a jellied firmness. As I chew, everything starts to stick to my molars. I'm not really enjoying this.

It doesn't really feel like this candy will ever disintegrate in saliva. I feel I could chew on it for hours, except that it doesn't taste good enough to do so. I don't have any desire to chew on it until it is gone.

I don't finish it. It is warm from my mouth and slippery and doesn't look or feel edible. Where's the value in a snack like this? I feel almost philosophical about this. Who considers such an experience a treat...and why?

Thank goodness for my Peppermint Pattie chaser.

4 comments:

mechanic said...

thank you for making these sacrifices for our curiosity. it is noted and appreciated!

Jennette said...

I am a snack martyr, aren't I?!

Anonymous said...

A candy that was very common and a favorite in San Francisco's Chinatown during 1950's and 1960's. Where did you buy this candy?

Jennette said...

Not sure. It may have come from my inlaws' trip to China... Or from a restaurant in NYC's Chinatown.

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails