Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Adventures in CSA 2013: Week 3 Share

Week 3

We were out of town for Saturday's pickup, enjoying the less-edible "greens" of Harriman State Park, but friends nabbed our share for us and held on to it until we got back. Here's what it consists of this week:

Week 3 Produce (no fruit until July)

Lettuce
Broccoli
Arugula
Scallions
Swiss chard
Napa cabbage
Garlic scapes
Japanese turnips
Radicchio

Looks like some salads are in order. What would you make with these ingredients?

More week 2 More week 2


Bonus! Week 2 Revisited!

If you read the posts about last week's share, you may remember that I did my volunteer shift and took home some extra vegetables during week two. I wanted to let you know that I did, in fact, try the bok choy skillet supper recipe I found online. It uses bulgar wheat, which I'd never cooked with before -- but which is very easy to prepare. It was pretty quick, too. Most of the time spent on this dish is in cutting and chopping veggies during prep. Finished, it was surprisingly flavorful -- especially considering some of the online reviews suggested it wouldn't be. Since I had "full-sized" bok choy (the recipe calls for baby), I just cut the greens off and arranged them alongside the stalks in the pan.

Modifications: We are not vegetarians, so we used chicken stock (which changes the flavor), and we also subbed in portobello mushrooms (chopped) for the button mushrooms. I also doubled the tomatoes, and it could have handled even more. Our skillet is pretty large. Oh, and I "cheated" when it came to the garlic-infused oil, by doing it on the fly with some smashed cloves of garlic in the pan with olive oil. I removed them before finishing the dish (and ate them on their own: yum!). This dish used up our remaining bok choy and garlic scapes (I used the scapes in place of shallots). Top with a drizzle of soy sauce.

Here's the recipe, in case you'd like to try it. Toddler- and grownup-approved!

What are you making this week?

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails