Thursday, October 16, 2008

Apples equal pie.

Bounty
(Photo credit: DanF)

The orchard we visited had at least one apple for every child visiting that day, who numbered roughly a bazillion. We only brought one child, who was too tiny to pick apples but found the day tiring, nonetheless.

Apple picking is tiring.

What the orchard lacked was signs announcing which apples were which variety. I think I may have come away with mostly Galas. Delicious.

Anyway, I have already mentioned the trip (where we were and so on), so I'll skip ahead. Pie is what matters now.

Pies in progress
(Photo credit: DanF)

That's an in-progress shot of what became two (one for home; one for work) apple pies with a cheddar cheese top crust (no bottom crust). The recipe can be found on Epicurious.com.

I do love cheese, but somehow I've never been interested in eating apple pie with a slice of cheese on top. When I read this recipe calling for cheese to be baked into the crust I was more intrigued. And the results were excellent, despite how fiddly and fragile the crust was (it took two people and a pastry cloth to flip each crust onto its pie plate).

Slices got good reviews from friends, family, and coworkers. An autumnal success!

Pie goes to work.

2 comments:

. said...

Mmm, pie. Apple pie. I loves me some apple pie.

I know you said it was good, but I'm not so sure about a cheese taste with apple.

My mother has an awesome recipe for apple pie. She's diabetic, so her version uses Splenda, I think, and the whole family has come to love it better than regular apple pie. I think the reduction of sugar means the apple taste can shine through a little more.

Jennette said...

Apples and cheese are great together. Mmmm...apple slices and gouda! I've just never felt I needed a slice of cheese on a slice of pie before this. Now I'll have to try it.

I think it's important to use some tart apples in an apple pie (granny smith, etc.) so that the apple taste doesn't get overwhelmed or mushified by sugar and spice. This pie had a lot of different apples in it and was very "appley."

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails