Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Even more religious snacking

Detail

I was raised in a strong church potluck tradition. One member of my childhood congregation called us the "Eat 'til You Die Baptist Church." I remain appreciative of good church potluck spreads.

But I thought that the ordination service I attended this past Sunday was only being followed by a basic "reception." You know -- nuts in a bowl, pillow mints, punch. I was wrong. That's not how this NYC church rolls. First, I saw that there were copious desserts. I ate a brownie immediately.

The sweet side

And then I walked to the other side of the table. Savory stuff, too?! Belinda Carlisle was right.
The savory side

By the way, I had a lot of some sort of cheese ball with what I think was jelly or preserves in the middle (to be spread together on crackers). Wow. It was so weird looking I knew it had to be excellent.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails