Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Infamous Star Cookies

A week or two ago, I noticed the pharmacy in my neighborhood had a hand-lettered sign in the window announcing something to the effect of "Star Cookies on sale soon!" I quickly forgot about the notice after idly wondering what "Star Cookies" are. Perhaps that could be the brand name for those butter cookies in the blue tins. Do people really get that excited about those? I was wrong (those are Royal Dansk Danish Butter Cookies I was thinking of), but I didn't really think more about the coming "Star Cookies" at the time.

Then, today, on my way home from work I saw this announcement:

Promises, promises

Either these are a local favorite or someone thought pretending they're highly anticipated locally would be a clever advertising angle. Worked on me.

I found a huge display of these boxes of star-shaped cookies in the store.

Shrink-wrapped stars

The nonpareils got to me, too. I can't resist those easily. I hustled home and unwrapped the box in the fading light.

Graham stars

According to the back of the box, these "Chocolaty Stars" are "graham crackers enrobed with all natural fudge." They are made by Stauffer Biscuit Company in York, PA and are apparently seasonal cookies (only out around the winter holidays).

Anyway, I ate four. And then two more. And then two more. They smell like chocolate-covered graham crackers. They taste like chocolate-covered graham crackers (with nonpareils on top). I like chocolate-covered graham crackers. It's a simple combination and simply terrific.

If these are a neighborhood favorite, I'm feeling more and more at home here.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want these! Is this on the corner of Metropolitan and Graham?

Jennette said...

Yes. I cannot stop eating them.

. said...

Holy crap, those look good. Not fair, I've not seen any star cookies around here... :(

Jennette said...

I keep hoping I will hear some sort of back story about why my neighborhood anticipates them so.

Amy said...

I used to live up the street and bought a box one year. i don't know why they are so popular, other than the fact they are super delicious. they must be distributed by someone that is related to the drug store family or something

Jennette said...

Thanks for stopping by! I like your theory. I just ate 5 or 6 more for breakfast.

betsy said...

Though I make it a policy not to eat things that advertise themselves as 'chocolat-y" (or, in fact, anything-y) I will have to look for those around here.

Jennette said...

Anecdotal evidence collected yesterday suggests that they are sold in New York, NJ, and PA. I don't know if they exist outside of this tri-state area. So do let me know if you spot them.

Webby said...

i'm going to York, PA for thanksgiving!! York is next to Hershey PA and apparently the chocolate is really fresh there. I should bring some back for the snack religious among us.

Jennette said...

Oh...what if it turned out the ones sold in the neighborhood here are counterfeit? You'd better compare in York.

Ms. Smith said...

Hello
I just came across your blog when I was doing a search on "The Infamous Star Cookies" I remember my Kindergarten teacher used to give them out during the holidays!
I see that the location of which you got them from is Brooklyn. Do you know the name of the place where they sell them?

Jennette said...

Hello, Ms. Smith! Please let me know what you find out about the star cookies in your research!

I buy mine at Napolitano Pharmacy, which is at the corner of Graham and Metropolitan in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It is directly next to the Graham subway stop (L line).

Anonymous said...

Go to STAUFFERS.NET and you can buy all these treats direct from the York,PA company. Either direct thru the web site or call them thru their outlet store and they will send them direct to you. I have worked there for 35 years and I still cannot stop eating them.
The stars are also sold made with pure milk and dark choc.

Jennette said...

Thanks for the info!! If that was the case in 2008, I couldn't figure it out by Googling.

Anonymous said...

Star cookies been a favorite of mind for years, Brooklyn and Staten Island NY they're easy to find. Looking for a location to purchase them in Washington DC or Virginia..any suggestions...Thx

Jennette said...

Sorry for the tardy reply. I don't know DC/Virginia. Maybe you could contact the company...

Anonymous said...

They are sold some place in long. Island does anyone know where or a phone number

Jennette said...

I don't. Let us know if you find them!

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails