Saturday, September 5, 2009

On the Drawing Board

Grilling Out

While in St. Paul, MN, we grilled food outside with Anna and Jonas. Anna had envisioned creating an eggplant sandwich consisting of layers of grilled eggplant slices with Boursin cheese, farm-fresh tomato, and basil in between.


Eggplant sandwich

We gave it a shot, and it was a beautiful thing. However, it wasn't quite perfect. The giant hamburger buns overpowered the flavors a little, and the sandwich needed a little crunch. I suspect some raw or lightly grilled onion would have been lovely there. The potato chips I stuffed in mine were a poor substitute, but the best I could come up with on the fly.

We also learned that the thinnest slices of eggplant tore when the cheese was applied. To counteract this, I did not use as many tomato slices as I could have, fearing they would "mush-ify" the whole pile.

Condiments would be another level of sandwich-finishing I would explore when making these again. We only had mustard on hand that night. In the future, I would try a flavorful mayo or perhaps a hot sauce.

Experiments are delicious, don't you think? I want to get this one right. A gorgeous sandwich deserves to be breathtakingly tasty.

Eggplant to grill

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails