Sunday, September 27, 2009

Adventures in CSA: Week 14, Part II + Week 15

CSA: Week 15

Once again, we find that one's CSA share may not be completely used up at the end of a given week. So far, however, I have been lucky. Very few items (or their cooked/assembled leftovers) have gone bad after 7 days. Most of the time I can just apply the overage to the following week, as I've done here.

Carry-over from Week 14
(find Part I of the week here):
1/2 a head of lettuce
1.5 lb potatoes
1 lb shelling beans (CHALLENGE VEGETABLE!)

Retrieved in Week 15 (pictured above):
String beans
2 ears of corn
3 Tomatoes
Salad greens mix
1 melon
3 onions
2 heads of garlic

Put together, that's a lot of produce. Time for some hearty eating! We made 'n' et:


CSA Salad

1. Big, Simple Salad. Lettuce + salad greens + tomato + sunflower seeds + sprouts + string beans (raw) + oil + vinegar.



Pommes de Terre Byron

2. Pommes de Terre Byron. This may look like a charred, bubbly mess on a baking sheet, but the recipe is going right into my top 5 discovered during this CSA season (along with eggplant bread salad). What you are looking at is potatoes baked in their skins (then scooped out of them) that have been cut up; seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg; pressed into a sort of cake; fried in butter and oil; shaken; baked; flipped; topped with sour cream (or something similar); sprinkled with cheese (I used cheddar); and then broiled. I substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream in the last, cheesiest steps of the recipe.

You really should make it. It's better than hash browns, and I am enamored of hash browns. Use a nonstick pan.



Shelled bean salad

3. Shelling Beans Salad. I took a gander at the internet to find some information about shelling beans. Lo and behold -- a preparation idea for the beans. The shelled beans didn't take long to boil with a bay leaf. Once drained and contained in a salad bowl, I added some raw string beans, along with a tomato, salt, walnut oil, and a splash of red wine vinegar. In retrospect, I think toasted nuts would have been a nice addition to this, too.



Turkey Chili

4. Turkey Chili with Cumin, Beans and Peppers. I used a head of CSA garlic in this baby, so it just barely counts for inclusion in this post. I also threw in some leftover assorted peppers from a our share a week ago. The recipe is based on this (vegetarian) recipe for Black Bean, Yellow Pepper, and Cumin Chili on Epicurious, which I have made before, but I added ground turkey and cheddar cheese this time. It's delicious meatless and meat-ed.



Corn and Potato Skins
Corny Skinners

5. Corn-filled 'Tato Skinners. I saved the potato skins from the baked potatoes this week (see dish #2) and both Dan and I had the same idea -- potato skins topped with onion, cheddar, turkey bacon, and corn.
I had baked the potatoes after coating them with oil, salt, and pepper, so the outsides were already nicely seasoned. Dan loaded the skins up with toppings on a baking sheet, baked the mess at 425 degrees (F) for 5-10 minutes, and we were off and eating. Corn made these memorable, but all of the flavors were guh-lorious.



Mini Melon Closeup

Mini Melon

6. Mini Melon. This baby seemed to be a mini watermelon. I ate it with a sprinkling of sea salt. It had a mild flavor and sweet disposition.



Yet Another Salad!

7. Leftovers Salad. What was left from these two weeks of CSA goodness on Saturday evening? Lettuce, salad greens, beet greens, onion, garlic, and string beans. Another salad seemed like the optimal way to use everything up (though I feel no need to use up the onion and garlic; they will keep). I didn't use the garlic in the salad, but I did add the sprouts and goat cheese that were kicking around in the fridge, as well as some sunflower seeds. I dressed it with walnut oil and rice vinegar.


No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails