Monday, May 25, 2009

Some will eat sand; I prefer cupcakes

Mini Cupcake

This afternoon I sort of crashed A's first birthday party by tagging along as R and H's friend in tow. The host mom, J, was as sweet as her backyard space, as lovely as her birthday girl daughter, as friendly as the other guests in attendance, and as welcoming as the mini cupcakes from Crumbs (I had two -- vanilla M&M and chocolate Oreo). I felt right at home.

Drinking from the watering can

Baby guests gathered around the play area to eat a little sand and occasionally drink water from plastic watering cans.

First Birthday Spread

Adults and kids alike enjoyed pasta salad with peas, broccoli, and tomatoes (my favorite dish); carrots and hummus; blue tortilla chips; and a pitch-perfect fruit salad served in a carved watermelon "bowl." I don't know that a one-year-old always knows when it's his or her birthday, but everyone at this party seemed to know it was a celebration. I had a great time.

Did I mention there were Jello shots for the grownups? I had two strawberry-coconut servings. Right on.

Everybody eats.

2 comments:

betsy said...

Jello shots would improve every birthday party I have ever attended. Festive!

Jennette said...

My only regret is that I didn't have more. ;)

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails