Monday, May 25, 2009

On snacking while standing in line: Weddings

Post-wedding snacks

[Disclaimer: I like it when people who are in love get married. I like going to weddings. My friends have fun weddings that I enjoy immensely. So don't get too carried away about my complaint this morning.]

Maybe I'm an impatient person, but I don't like waiting in receiving lines after wedding ceremonies. Even more boring is sitting in a pew waiting to be released row-by-row by ushers so that you can stand in a receiving line (especially if you're way back in the non-family cheap seats).

Granted, there aren't a lot of good alternatives to the receiving line if everyone at the wedding wants to shake the hand of or hug the bride and groom (or bride and bride, or groom and groom), which most of them do.

The best I could come up with for our wedding was to release the guests pew-by-pew ourselves, and as quickly as reasonable, so that at least there was never much of a line:

Many Hugs

The people in the back rows still ended up waiting around, though.

You know what makes a lot of waiting people happier? Eating while waiting. It turns out that if there is a table at the back of the Tabernacle with snacks that you can eat while waiting for your turn to sign the Quaker marriage certificate, as there was at Lindsey and Cormac's wedding, the wait doesn't seem quite as long.

Good idea!

I'll still go to weddings without receiving line snacks, but I'd rather not. Now I know what I've been missing.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails