Friday, September 5, 2008

Hey, Walkers! Yeah, you in the pink bag!

Prawn Cocktail

(Another item from that box of goodies from
Anastasia)


It has been a while since I've had a prawn. But there is certainly a seafood flavor to these crisps. They have a smoky sweetness, and I wonder if that's the MSG. I'm not scared of MSG, though. I go to no great lengths to avoid it and I've never noticed it giving me a headache.

Like the smoky bacon flavor I tried the other day, these are thinly sliced and do not stand up to much chewing, but I don't seem to mind anymore because this flavor is much better. Now, unlike with the smoky bacon crisps, the salt level balances rather than overwhelms. The flavor is a bit uneven; some of the chips individually were better than others. When eating them singly, I really liked the ones that swung away from the sweetness and toward the prawniness. Luckily, I don't have to eat them one at a time. I can chew them in great wads of crisp, sweet and sour prawnicity. And that's how I like them.

I'm guessing these small bags are inexpensive in the UK, which makes them a very good value for the money. If they are the British equivalent of my favorite 25cent bags of cheese balls, they'd be perfect, but I assume they're a little pricier than that. Still, I'd eat these again - fer sure - and am now wondering about the feasibility of planning a vacation with the goal of trying more flavors.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Hmmmmm, those sound interesting! MSG, no headache for me but I am up all night...wide awake.

Cute blog!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

This bag looks vaguely like a Lays bag. Upon further investigation ('cause I know people...lol) These taste exactly like Lays crab boil chips. Prawns, crabs, whatever...both chips (or maybe I should say crisps?) taste good.

Jennette said...

Amber - that's interesting. I ate mine in the morning, so I don't know if they would affect my sleep.

Nik - Yeah, Lays and Walkers are two branches of the same company and Walkers' logo has been made to look more like Lays' on purpose. I've never seen those crab boil chips, though! They may be a southern thing.

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails