Tuesday, September 9, 2008

O Taste and See

Kikori No Kirikabu

I'm no Denise Levertov, but I've decided to institute Poetry Tuesdays on Snackreligious. From now on, Tuesdays' posting will be ever-so-poetical. Let's get classy around here!

Kikori No Kirikabu lumberjack


The Smiling Mouth

[A tribute to
Kikori No Kirikabu ("chocolate and cookie snack"), which are Japanese chocolate-covered tree stump cookies featuring a happy lumberjack on the box. In the style of (and with apologies to) Charles d'Orléans.]


The smiling mouth and laughing pipe smoke gray,
The chestes strong and long small armes twain
The handes smooth, the axe you hold plain,
Your bootes lit* - what should I further say?
It is my craft, for I am not blasé,
To muse theron in stinting of my pain --
The smiling mouth and laughing pipe smoke gray,
The chestes strong and long small armes twain,
So would I eat your, if I could or may,
Crunchy stumps with chocolate I've seen,
Forwhy that snack me is most fain,
And will be to the hour in which I day** --
The smiling mouth and laughing pipe smoke gray,
The chestes strong and long small armes twain.


* lit = little
** day = die



p.s. What is he saying to me here on the inside flap?

Kikori No Kirikabu flap

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails