I am so suggestible.
It only took one blog post about making brownies in a waffle iron to convince me to do it myself.
This video was posted on Serious Eats at 11am. I unplugged my waffle iron at 9:55 pm and settled down with my last brownie. That's not a bad turnaround time.
The changes I made to the recipe?
- I used instant espresso powder instead of instant coffee powder or brewed coffee.
- I stirred the espresso powder into the melted chocolate and butter instead of into the wet ingredients that were mixed together in the recipe's second step.
- I sprayed my waffle iron with cooking spray before each round of waffles. The video does not specify whether to do this once or before every batch.
- I topped my brownies with leftover CSA sour cherries and powdered sugar.
- I only had 5.7 oz of chocolate, and I think it was semi-sweet or milk chocolate (the label was gone), rather than bittersweet chocolate.
My ingredients (in case the video goes haywire):
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
5.7 oz (should have been 6) of whatever chocolate is wrapped in foil in the freezer (should have been bittersweet)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T. water
1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
My waffle iron does not have power levels. It took about 5 minutes to cook two medium-sized waffles at a time.