Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Snack + Snack + Snack + Snack = Dinner!

Bounty

Shop at the farmer's market for beautiful ingredients and then cook and consume until you're full. This is how I like to eat. Tonight we made dishes and dined with Tony, working collaboratively to create a veritable feast of:

1. Kale, blanched, fried in garlic and olive oil, and dressed with white wine vinegar.
2. Molly Katzen's Salita (relish or diced salad) of strawberry, avocado, lime juice, apple (my substitute for jicama), and crystallized ginger.
3. A salad of Fennel bulb sliced with onion, lemon, olive oil and basil.
4. Crash-Hot Potatoes, recipe originally here, but found by me here.
5. Honey-Apricot Parfait With Greek Yogurt, Walnuts and Cinnamon from the NYT website but brought to my attention by Serious Eats.

Accoutrements: San Francisco sourdough loaf from the farmer's market, Brie, vinho verde picked up at Trader Joe's because I wanted to try vinho verde (sour in a good way, I thought), and white wine (which I think was from Ian and Christa, but before that from New Zealand).

None of the dishes took long, and I say any one of these things would make an excellent snack. I'm planning to make everything again someday, but especially these potatoes, which can be spiced with anything you like.

Crash Hot Potatoes

The photo above is from a previous incarnation. Tonight, they were seasoned with pepper, shallot salt and Zatar, a Middle Eastern spice blend with sumac, thyme leaves, white sesame seeds and salt.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails