Saturday, March 27, 2010

C.I. knows broccoli.

How to Roast Broccoli

I recently let my years-long subscription to Cooks Illustrated expire, but I've kept the back issues I own. Not only do they contain several recipes I use over and over again (for example, I swear by their carrot cake), but there are many I haven't tried yet and still mean to.

The other night, I pulled out the issue from January of 2008 in order to try their method of roasting broccoli.

And -- perfection! The broccoli florets (which I did not cut according to their instructions, as I misunderstood those instructions) roasted for about 10 minutes in a 500 degree oven, after having been tossed with olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. sugar (I had 1 1/2 lbs broccoli). Then, after roasting, I tossed the hot broccoli with a heated mixture of olive oil, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and oregano. Cooks Illustrated meant for me to have olives in there, too, but I didn't feel like shopping for another ingredient.

Oh, golly, I gobbled this up. I can't wait to have broccoli again.


[If you're an online member of CI, find the recipe here.]

2 comments:

Mechanic said...

this is one of my favorite recipes of all time, it is transformative! glad you dug it too!

Jennette said...

I made it twice that first week. I may never steam broccoli again.

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails