Sunday, January 10, 2010

A tip for cookie lovers who like them soft:

The Bread Trick

Store supposed-to-be-soft or chewy cookies in an airtight container with a slice of bread to keep them soft or to perk them up if they've gotten hard. The bread becomes stiff and dry, but the cookies benefit greatly. I also keep a half slice of bread in my brown sugar, where it keeps the sugar from getting too hard and clumpy.

Don't feel it must be "good" or "healthy" bread if you try this. You won't want to eat the hardened, used slices of bread afterward. When doing my cookie party baking every year, I choose the absolute cheapest loaf of plain, white sandwich bread I can find. It always rescues at least one batch.

If you overfill your containers (like I do), you may find that a cookie or two will stick to the bread when you come back to it later. Just pull it off gently and dust off the bread crumbs. If the stuck cookies have become too moist for presentation to guests, you may want to eat them immediately.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails