Oh the bounty! How the bounty increases! Welcome corn and onion. Keep 'em coming, squash. Kinda getting sick of you, pickling cucumbers.
What we had to deal with:
Week Seven's CSA Share
2 lbs zucchini (green, yellow)
2 lbs (regular!) cucumbers
1 head cabbage
1 bunch spring onions
radicchio -- error! it was lettuce, not radicchio
2 pieces dill
3 ears sweet corn
1 bunch beets
*PLUS* The leftover produce from Week Six, still in the mix:
And, so, long on ingredients (but, as you'll see, short on photos), we made and ate:
1. Beet Burgers (CSA beets, cucumbers, and dill). These beet burgers were major players in Week 7. You'll see their return below, but for this first appearance we quick-pickled some more cucumbers and used them to top this NY Times recipe. They tasted pleasantly of beets and white beans (rice and goat cheese were also in the mix), but I think the sour pickles were an excellent topping that made them extra-special. The buns were English muffins.
2. Squash and pasta (CSA squash). Okay, we're boring. We really like pasta. It's E-Z food. This one also contained grape tomatoes, garlic and lots of cheese. Fine by me!
3. Fresh corn on the cob (CSA corn) -- not pictured. You really don't need to do much to corn this good. It was quite sweet and tender. I wager we could have eaten it raw, but it was lightly boiled. I didn't even add butter, and for me that's a big deal. Just. Corn.
4. Beet Burger Lettuce Wraps (CSA beets and lettuce). Here are the leftover beet burgers, chopped up and used as the filling for lettuce wraps, along with some red onion and more goat cheese. I really liked these -- more than the beet burgers themselves, in fact. The lettuce was crispy and not too bitter.
5. Scrambled eggs and scallions (CSA scallions) -- not pictured. I used some of the green onions in one morning's eggy scramble. You may notice in week eight (going on as I type this) that we try this trick again. Must've liked them!
Still hanging out at the end of Week Seven
most of that bunch of green onion
1 head cabbage
2 yellow pickling cucumbers from two weeks ago (oops) that got slimy. Tossed!